Saturday, January 12, 2013
Things I Want to Do in 2013!
THINGS I WANT TO DO IN 2013
RE: tour guiding
- Recall what I learned from the training for interpreters, both in Japan and Montana. Make a better use of it for my tours.
- Share my learning from those training workshops with other tour guides, including those in other geoparks, if desired. I wouldn't mind traveling to other places to share my learning as workshops or presentations (but of course, if my financial situation allows...)
- Cram for the test to be a nationally licensed English-speaking tour guide.
RE: New projects
1) to improve my and our tours:
- Make more props/games for the tour, esp. for kids
- Plan new tour courses
- Visit other geoparks with my tour guide friends (including those working in other geoparks)
- Do some informal research on traditions/folk tails in our community and relate it to the task for Geoparks and Intangible Cultural Heritage Working Group (GICHWG)
- Experiment on creating some geo-themed dishes or sweets
2) to make our tour guide association function in a variety of ways:
- Make/produce tour guides' original souvenirs and get extra income
- Run some fun and educational or ecology-conscious events on our own
3) to enhance the economy in our small, depopulating city thorough tourism:
- Explore the possibility of using dad's abandoned orange orchard for some kind of experience-based tour, collaborating with local restaurants, shops and guide associations, etc.
- Give surplus food (seafood and vegetables) to a local restaurant and experiment on geo-themed dishes and sweets together
RE: Our English conversation club:
- Try some nature games in English
- Use more games, dialogues, etc. to facilitate the members' participation
- Make a photo slideshow with English captions to introduce features of Muroto
In a nutshell, I believe that we need more variety in what we can offer at this geopark. And we do have wonderful resources. But as some marketing experts have advised, we shouldn't just lay down our resources as-is and say to the world, "Hey we have great resources. Only those who understand the value are welcomed." We need to make them easy to understand, attractive, enjoyable and memorable! And we - the locals here - need to convince some scientists that making such efforts do not downgrade them or this geopark!!
Posted by obachan at 9:13 AM